Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"Light bulb." just like Gru says it.

I am so grateful Jesus cares first and foremost for my soul.

On February 19, 2014, I received the results of my MRI. They were not encouraging. A friend I had gained after my initial diagnosis in 2010 was unfamiliar with my condition asked about it. I hadn't thought of answering from the beginning. I took some words to catch her up on the fly:

My MS is diagnosed remitting-relapsing which is better than the one where I'll be in a wheelchair sooner rather than later. It's always there. It affects the right side of my body. I've had people come up to me and ask me if I might be having a stroke. I fail those tests all the time. Some times I can't go up the stairs. Some times I can't carry Jubers and guarantee her safety. Some times I'm tired. You ever watch West Wing? Martin Sheen was dead on in his portrayal. So much so Chris asked me if I wanted to keep watching it in case it discouraged me. It doesn't.

But then I was compelled to tell her how my days really go down:

                              I serve a mighty God. He cares for even me. If he can save me from my sins 
                                     with his beloved son's blood then he can most certainly care for my imperfect 
                                     and broken body.

          As I wrote those words in a private message to her, Jesus’ healing of the paralytic from the Bible came flooding over me. I chose the account recorded in Luke 5:17-25.

 “One day He was teaching; and there were some Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting there, who had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem; and the power of the Lord was present for Him to perform healing. 18 And some men were carrying on a bed a man who was paralyzed; and they were trying to bring him in and to set him down in front of Him.”

These are my friends. They carry me. They watch my kids so I can go to appointments. They feed my family when life gets hectic. This is my family. My husband's parents are willing to do anything for us from childcare to chauffeuring me to appointments to calling to check up. My dad lives far away, but stays on top of my medical condition. My kids check on me, give gentle hugs and kisses, are not scared of me. My husband is still over the moon for me, helps me up the stairs, checks on my feet, and still loves my smile. But for all the practical serving and caring pieces people provide, they pray for me.

“19 But not finding any way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down through the tiles with his stretcher, into the middle of the crowd, in front of Jesus.”

Their prayers carry me to the feet of Jesus. They lovingly set me there. They cry out for me; they plead for me. As God uses my friends, my church, my extended family, my kids, and my husband to provide that care, blessings are exchanged as God works to keep me going.

“20 Seeing their faith, He said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven you.” 21 The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?”  22 But Jesus, aware of their reasonings, answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins have been forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 24 But, so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,”—He said to the paralytic—“I say to you, get up, and pick up your stretcher and go home.” 25 Immediately he got up before them, and picked up what he had been lying on, and went home glorifying God.”

Jesus has the power over my sins and my sickness. My sins are gone; I’ve been redeemed. That is eternally valuable, and we glorify God.  My body is sick. My brain is ravaged. Jesus still cares for my broken form, and we glorify Him. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jess,

Your living faith is an inspiration to all who know you, including your Dad. You and Catherine inspire us all. That doesn't mean the rest of us don't have faith, we do, but you two show us every day how to live it. And for that we are forever grateful.

As parents yourselves, you know how much it hurts to see your kids suffer and our extended family certainly has had its share. Mike with colitis, Lori and Catherine with breast cancer, and you with MS. That's half our 'kids' with serious health issues.

Our own health issues pale with comparison with those of our kids, even though they may be just as serious. I'm sure you know that too.

But I would far rather know what is happening to all our kids than be kept in the dark. Knowledge is very powerful. It informs us on what we need to pray for.

Thank you for sharing.

With all my love,
Dad