On
Friday, March 27, I had an appointment for my Tysabri infusion, which comes every 28 days as treatment for multiple sclerosis. My doctor said I should keep taking it as long as it's deemed essential. I’m always looking for a reason to not take it; just file that under denial.
My treatment is administered at Frederick Memorial Hospital’s James M Stockman Cancer Institute connected to their Rose Hill facility. It sounds more serious than it is. While the Cancer Institute treats cancer patients with an excellent level of care and support, part of the building also serves as the infusion center. Lots of patients get infusions. Not all patients have cancer. You have to be otherwise healthy to receive your treatment.
FMH texted on Wednesday to confirm the appointment. I called later that afternoon to ask about any new protocol. I would not be allowed a guest.
It had been two weeks since I'd been on the highway. Can I just say it was absolutely giddy being on the open road?!?!?! A sunny day. My music. Driving Mithril.
The infusion was different. I use my infusion as a way to connect or catch up with family and friends, get to know acquaintances, or take care of business with associates. You can cover a lot in 2 1/2 hours.
I was greeted by a pre-screening person in the entry way, who stood much too close for my taste. She had sat 6’ away from the previous patient, and I had waited 6’ away from her modeling spatial awareness. She also did not listen when I spelled Shullenbarger. She handed me my paper and sent me into the building to the screening person who took my temperature and sent me to the normal check-in spot. My name was on the list, and I was seated.
The waiting area had been rearranged. Most of the furniture was gone. What remained was configured 6’ apart. There were no puzzles, no hot beverages, no giveaways made by crafty well-wishers. There weren’t many patients. I didn’t wait long.
Two doors beyond that, at the infusion center, there were no volunteers. Vicki is my girl at infusions. She’s responsible for the snack cart and drinks. She’s also a fan of my high school athletes. Her son coaches another FCPS high school boys track team. Usually we trade stories before a nurse comes by.
The nurses were great. The same faces were there. They’re working and safe. No cases among them or loved ones. The stick was good. The IV crimped a few times, but the medicine went in and the fluid after. My appointments for April and May are made.
With many prayers, I hope that the facility remains COVID-free not only for my sake, but the sake of all who use, need, and rely on it. Cancer patients who have a disease that doesn’t wait. Patients like me who will do best by staying on their dosage. The staff whose job it is to care for us. They love what they do, and they rely on that paycheck.
While my outing (meaning leaving my home in a vehicle) was essential (even though I don’t want to it be because it means I have MS) it was strange. There were feelings of relief and happiness at getting away from the house in a car. It was good. Good enough to record a 68/120 blood pressure reading. As Mithril says, "Let's go places."

No comments:
Post a Comment