I have a different story now going on 40. In May 2018 I
thought maybe my pelvic floor wasn’t where it should be. I hear having lots of
babies can have an effect on that. My
well-woman check-up said it wasn't and no reason was given for frequent trips to
the bathroom. By October there was steady pain in my lower back and hip. In November
there was blood in my urine. The urgent care put me on antibiotics. Three days
later they called and said it was not a UTI. The chasing began. X-rays, ultrasounds,
follow-ups, specialists. At my GYN it went from nothing to let’s have surgery
in a few weeks. The pain was still there.
Yesterday I got a picture of the organ that grew and
protected six babies. I saw my ovaries that provided the eggs. I saw the tubes
that took the egg to the uterus. It was pretty cool but slimy. The plan was a
robotic hysterectomy to remove the uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix and check out
the ovaries that were plagued by endometriosis. In meeting with my surgeon and
asking about his approach I finally got him to brag on himself telling us, “Yeah,
I think I’m damn good.” This helped.
We arrived at FMH, a hospital that has always taken good
care of us, at 6:45 a.m. after a shower of special hospital soap to keep my surgical area germ free. We were in the first room in a few minutes. IVs,
vitals, air pumps for my legs to help with circulation then off to the OR where
the anesthesiologist put me under.
The surgery went better than expected. The Dr. was able to
leave both ovaries. He only made three incisions instead of the five he could
have. I woke up. I have a lot of trouble with anesthesia. A LOT. I woke up and was
nauseous minutes. Not enough anti-nausea plan. Recovery happens in a private
room. Chris was there to greet me. The room was ours for 23 hours up until I
got discharged or admitted.
I’m not a fan of hospitals. We didn’t stay around long with
the babies often getting discharged the next day and being off about our
business—coaching a basketball game, going to church, you know whatever. Chris
and I had packed games and books and paper and pen. We were ready. As we met the
staff, we found out what was needed for discharge: being able to pee, being
able to walk unassisted, being able to keep liquids down. Seemed easy enough.
We were out by 3:00. Doctor was pleased, nurses couldn’t believe how fast I
could do everything. I’m the fastest discharge they’ve had.
I left without some of my parts. Parts I wouldn’t use again.
Yes, I’m very excited to not have a period. After baby 5 we were cautioned about having
more. After baby six our OB strongly urged no more for my health. Chris had surgery.
It worked out well because for the medication I take for my MS we can’t get
pregnant so we were done.
We are home, and it is hard. I learned a lot about myself. I
love food. I did a clear liquid only fast from Tuesday after dinner through surgery
on Thursday morning. Due to the anesthesia, my stomach is still a little off. I
was really hoping to be eating by now. I had plans for chicken and maybe a DQ
blizzard. I did lose 6 pounds with the cleansing pre-surgery preparation. I’m
sure it’s all back with the bloating going on. I learned I like to divert and
deny. Instead of setting the house up for my recovery I went out both days into
the sun and saw animals with friends before my surgery. However, no children
were yelled at because I was not feeling grumpy and stressed. I was happy and
distracted. I learned (reinforced) that I am bad with waiting. I get really
nervous up until the event. Whatever it is—a game (coaching, playing, or
officiating), an appointment, surgery, labor. I don’t like suspense. Once it
starts it’s all good though.
Everything hurts. There’s bloating and bruising. There’s a
dry mouth from the anesthesia. There’s a sore throat from the breathing tube
and shortness of breath. There’s a move to keep the lungs clear and strong to
avoid pneumonia. (Great. Did you know pneumonia is my greatest fear? People with
MS don’t do well with pneumonia.) There’s pain in my shoulders from gas leaving
my body that was used to expand my belly during surgery. There’s lack of
appetite until the anesthesia wears off. How am I feeling? Home. That’s how I’m
feeling. Home is a feeling. No fever. No gross discharge. I’m stiff. I’m sore, but I’m
home. God heard our prayers. I am thankful.


No comments:
Post a Comment